Land Rover History
Land Rover models have been serving the Gilbert and Tempe communities across the years, with origins reaching back to the 1940s. Land Rover started from the simple idea that a luxury vehicle could still offer world-class power and capability. From its introduction to the public to the current era of advanced automotives, learn more about Land Rover history below.
Highlights Through History
- 1947: In the wake of World War II, Maurice Wilks and a team designs the first Land Rover model under the Rover Company, inspired by the Jeep-style chassis.
- 1948: The first Land Rover is officially launched at the Amsterdam Motor Show in the Netherlands.
- 1967: Leyland Motors, LT, later known as British Leyland, acquires the Rover Company. This partnership helps Land Rover models appeal to their desired audience with a lineup that fits audience needs.
- 1970: The Range Rover is first released, and becomes (and remains) the most popular Land Rover model for its ultimate combination of sophistication and capability.
- 1976: Land Rover produces its one-millionth vehicle, solidifying its place in history.
- 1978: Part of the Rover Company becomes its own brand, Land Rover Limited.
- 1987: The Land Rover Range Rover makes its way to the US in a previously untapped market.
- 1994: The luxury brand BMW known primarily for sedans and roadsters acquires Land Rover.
- 2000: The German BMW company sells the British Land Rover to the American Ford.
- 2007: Land Rover is reunited with its British roots when Ford sells Land Rover to Jaguar, another luxury sedan and roadster-focused company.
- 2011: Land Rover introduces the bold and stylish new Range Rover Evoque.
- 2017: Land Rover introduced the Range Rover Velar, the latest Land Rover edition to hit Phoenix streets.
- 2018: The Range Rover Sport becomes the first SUV to climb the 999 steps up to the Heaven’s Gate landmark in China.
- 2018: Land Rover celebrates 70 years and announces a Limited Edition V8 Land Rover Defender.
Learn More at Land Rover Chandler
Explore any of these exceptional models, like a stately black Range Rover at Land Rover Chandler. If you’re looking for a new Land Rover for sale or a pre-owned model in the Phoenix area, you can count on the expertise of %di_name%% to assist you in your vehicle purchase.
Learn more about Land Rover features like Range Rover accessories, and browse our inventory at 7470 W. Orchid Lane in Chandler, AZ. Contact us at 855-547-7657 to learn more about our current vehicle specials.