What is the Difference Between a Land Rover and a Range Rover?
Have you ever wondered what the difference is between the terms “Land Rover” and “Range Rover”? Land Rover is a brand, and a Range Rover is a type of Land Rover model. There is a further distinction between the specific Range Rover model and the Range Rover lineup (informally known as the “Range Rover family”). The Range Rover lineup consists of four models: the Range Rover, the Range Rover Evoque, the Range Rover Sport, and the Range Rover Velar.
Learn more about the Land Rover vs. Range Rover distinction below, then contact Land Rover Chandler if you have any questions or want to schedule a visit to your Phoenix-area Land Rover retailer.
Land Rover vs. Range Rover: The Beginning
How did the distinction between Land Rover and Range Rover start? Land Rover wasn’t always the name of the brand. Find out more about Land Rover history to get some insight into the relationship between Land Rover and Range Rover.
- In 1885 Maurice Wilks founds the Rover Company originally as a bicycle manufacturer.
- After World War II, demand for military vehicles dropped, so the Rover Company switched its focus to utilitarian agricultural SUVs.
- In 1947, the Rover Company designs the Series 1 Land Rover model. This is the first time the Land Rover name appears.
- In 1967, the Rover Company is acquired by Leyland Motors, Ltd.
- In 1970, the high-end Range Rover model made its debut after the rise in popularity of leisure SUVs.
- In 1978, part of the Rover Company is separated and re-named as Land Rover Limited.
1978 was the beginning of Land Rover as a company. Even though Land Rover Limited ownership has changed a few times since then, the Range Rover continues to be the flagship model of the company.
Land Rover Range Rover Models
- Land Rover Range Rover — The original Range Rover model, this midsize SUV started the advancement in power and off-roading abilities. It is standard with four-wheel drive and offers the most luxury features of the entire Land Rover brand.
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport — This model is also standard with four-wheel drive. The difference between this model and the classic Range Rover is that the Range Rover Sport focuses more on the performance on Gilbert roads and beyond.
- Land Rover Range Rover Evoque — No matter whether you choose the crossover or unique convertible configuration, this model provides a luxurious design, advanced features, and off-road capabilities at a more affordable price. It is standard with all-wheel drive.
- Land Rover Range Rover Velar — The Velar offers all of the tech features that Land Rovers are praised for, however, if you’re looking for a more compact version of the beloved Land Rover Range Rover, the Velar is the model for you. This model is also standard with all-wheel drive.
Other Land Rover Models
Though the Range Rover name is tacked on to most Land Rover models, there are three other luxury SUV models that don’t fall under the Range Rover spectrum. These include:
- Land Rover Discovery – The Discovery is built for strength and advanced safety whether taking the highway or the path less traveled.
- Land Rover Discovery Sport – The Sport model of the Discovery has many of the same features as the base model, but is better suited for adventure.
- Land Rover Plug-In Hybrid – For a more efficient drive, the Plug-In Hybrid is the model you want.
Learn More About Land Rover vs. Range Rover in Chandler
Find out more about our new Land Rover models and compare them against other popular luxury SUVs and off-road models like Jeep. See how a new Land Rover can benefit your commute, with Range Rover accessories and technologies like Land Rover InControl® Apps™, or prepare for an adventure with the best off-roading tires for a Range Rover. Ready to find a new Range Rover in Chandler? Visit us today to test drive a new Land Rover! If you have questions in the meantime or want help doing more research, contact us at Land Rover Chandler.